Located adjacent to Sturdivant Hall at the corner of Mabry Street and McLeod Avenue, the buildings are:
- Calhoun Law Office
- McKinnon-Riggs Doctor’s Office
- Siegel Servants’ Quarters
- Pigeon Cote
The village also includes the Gillis House and Minnie Sue’s Cottage, which are now private residences.
CALHOUN LAW OFFICE
The James M. Calhoun Law Office, circa 1833, is a one-room structure that features antique furniture, ledgers and books. The Greek Revival building has four Doric columns and a front porch. The building was moved from Carlowville where it had been used for storage.
Calhoun, who was born in South Carolina, was a lawyer and planter in Dallas County. His law office is a replica of the office of American statesman John C. Calhoun, his uncle. James Calhoun served as a member of both the House of Representatives and the Senate between 1831 and 1861 and served two terms as president of the Senate. The office was donated by Andrew Calhoun, grandson of James Calhoun.
MCKINNON-RIGGS DOCTOR’S OFFICE
This small, 1800’s building was moved to Selma from Pleasant Hill and furnished with antique furniture and medical equipment. The building is a one-story, Greek Revival structure, which has Doric columns, a full-width porch and square-rail balustrade.
H.B. Boynton used the building first as a law office from 1852 to 1871. Later, Dr. Kenneth McKinnon opened a medical office in 1871. Dr. S.W. Riggs practiced in the building from 1905 to 1945 and was followed by Dr. William Staggers of Benton during the 1950s. Prior to its move to Heritage Village in 1981, the office had fallen into disrepair and was almost torn down when the heirs of William B. Jones (who purchased it in 1946 for $300) donated it to the Historic Society. The exact date of its construction is unknown.
SIEGEL’S SERVANTS’ QUARTERS
This one-story building, circa 1900, was located behind the main Siegel house on the northwest corner of Dallas Avenue and Union Street. The one-story building has a roof of wood shingles and foundation of brick piers. The Siegel family donated it to Heritage Village.
The Gillis House, circa 1850, 623 Mabry St. is a one-story, Greek Revival with an Italianate porch. It once occupied a lot on Washington Street and was moved here where it is now a private residence. Gardens behind the home were added by a florist and feature a variety of plants that are not native to the area.
MINNIE SUE’S COTTAGE
This 1830 cottage, 622 McLeod Ave., is located at the rear of Heritage Village and is privately owned. The one-story house with a central passage is charming year-round, especially in spring when the Lady Banks roses bloom. Local historians say the house is built from hand-hewn timbers and joined with wooden pegs. The house is named for Miss Minnie Sue Neville, who owned an antique shop in Selma. It was moved here in 1910.