Update in May 2012 at Annual Meeting: We have re-worked all of the front windows and are in process of putting storm windows over those. The painted plywood windows that were on the front are now in the back of the building to protect those window until we can re-work them and to provide more security for the building.
The Selma City Schools continue on as a good tenant and we have no reason to expect the need for them to vacate in the near future. We are thankful for our good working relationship with Mr. Shirley, the superintendent, and the school system.
Implementation: The Selma-Dallas County Historic Preservation Society has begun this renovation project with acquisition of the building. We aim to have the roof and windows repaired within one year.
Original post: This 25,000 square foot structure has two full floors above ground, and a full basement. This brick structure is an early 20th century Revival style, and was built in 1913 as Selma’s first High School. Ager and Cline were chosen as contractors, and William T. Warren from Birmingham, one of Alabama’s foremost architects, designed the school.Most of the Tremont Street structure has remained unused for decades with the school district only using the basement for storage. A deed search indicates that the building has been owned by the City of Selma since 1957 (Deed Book 497, page 2). The previous owner, the City School Board of Selma acquired the lots in 1911 (Deed Book 232, page 326).The structure is still sound, but there is an immediate need for window and roof repairs. Before the structure could be occupied, it will also need new electrical service, a new HVAC system, new plumbing and restrooms, and repairs to walls, floors, doors, and ceilings. An elevator and other accessibility accommodations need to be made. An asbestos and lead paint assessment and abatement program has to be undertaken.